Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chad - Elma, Wa

I have been going down to the sand dunes with my dad & friends since I was 13 years old & am 35 now. We generally go down 2 to 3 times a year as we live on the olympic peninsula in Wash. st. otherwise the number would be higher. During this span of 22 years I have noticed 2 trends:
1. An increase in off road vehicles using the dunes as the sport has grown a lot in the last 5 or 6 years. Evidence of this is obvious with the increase in campgrounds, sand camping spots, bike shops in the local towns etc...
2. A decrease in public land available to us for off road recreational use. I have seen sections of the dunes once open to orv's closed for a number of reasons including private property closures, environmental closures, railroad closures (Coos Bay), & noise closures.
These are trends that if continued will end up making things worse like overuse of  certain areas, orv injuries, noise issues, as we are slowly getting squeezed together tighter & tighter at the remaining locations open to orv use.
So I ask you to please don't make the problem worse by closing down more land to orv use when in fact it should be the other way around.
Thank you.
Chad Fishel

Elma Wa.
98541
Areas I ride are Coos Bay, Winchester Bay, Sand lakes, Florence.

No comments:

Post a Comment